Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Homemade Chicken Broth


I know its easier to buy Chicken bouillon cubes than to make your own - well thats what you say at least. But bouillon cubes are about 1.50-2.00 a package depending on where you live. The small cubes make 1 cup, the large ones make 2 cups. Let's assume that it costs 2.00 for a pack of 6 cubes and that each cube makes 2 cups of broth. The joke in my house is that I am the math wiz so it won't be any surprise if I fudge this up in the process. This would mean that this pack of bouillon would be about .17 per cup. (Store bought - 12 cups for 2.00 - no chicken, high sodium)


I purchased a 4 lb chicken from Target for about 5.00. I boiled the chicken with sea salt, pepper and some random seasonings that I had on hand. (Cover chicken with Water about an inch above) BTW, the chicken was frozen. When you boil it, it will thaw on its own! Anyway, I boiled it on low for about 4 hours and then turned it off enough to cool but still be warm (due to safety reasons). I took the chicken out, in pieces due to the tenderness), then poured the remaining broth through a strainer into a bowl. I then poured the brother from that bowl in to individual containers to freeze. I got 5 containers, 4 cups each. Now lets do the math. 1 chicken - $5.00, 20 cups of broth, plus a chicken to eat :) So each cup of broth came to .25 vs .17 cents. However, you have half the sodium based on my research and recipe and I have an entire chicken to eat as a result of that 5.00 as opposed to a bunch of blocks of yellow stuff that I'm not entirely sure of what its made of!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...