Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Remedy: My desire to cook with buttermilk and rice

Adapted from this recipe. http://dabblinginthedelicious.blogspot.com/2011/01/forget-stove-risotto.html

Followed her recipe a the T except when it came to the "mix ins" and I deleted the butter. I keep a frozen, sliced, peice of salt pork in my freezer and cut off of it whenever I need to add some flavor to something bland, such as rice.

1 1/2 cups arborio rice
4 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
2 TBSP of salt pork, cut and chopped from the meatier part
1 TBSP shallots chooped
6 button mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup light buttermilk

Combine rice and chicken stock into a casserole dish or dutch oven. Give it a stir or two. Cover and place into a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until the majority of the liquid is absorbed.

**ADAPTATION** while rice and stock are cooking, saute salt pork, shallots, onion, chopped mushrooms in a pan with 1-2 TBSP of olive oil until onions are cooked through.

Remove rice from oven and stir in vegetable mixture.
Stir in light buttermilk.
Stir in Parmesan,and salt and pepper until combined and cheese is melted.

Place back in oven for 10-12 minutes to lightly brown top and fuse flavors.

Feel free to throw in a few frozen peas, mushrooms, or anything else your heart desires.

And I agree with the OP (original poster). You definitily want to cook this to impress. Its yum-dilly-ishous. I'd like to try this with brown rice and sans the buttermilk. I was trying to warm Papa Bear up so thats why I made it richer :)

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...